The Connecticut Clay Artists
Mac and cheese← previous
next →Main course by Ros Liljengren
Mac and cheese
- 4 "big handfuls" elbow noodles
- 8 oz extra sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 4 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp flour
- 2 cups milk
- salt & pepper to taste
- Hungarian hot paprika to sprinkle on top
- Cook noodles as usual. Rinse and drain.
- Place half of noodles on bottom of 11" x 7" glass baking dish, reserving the other half.
- Spread half of cheese and then repeat noodles and cheese for the second layer.
- Melt butter in a one-quart saucepan at medium heat and gradually whisk in flour creating rue. Cook gently for a few minutes. Slowly add milk, whisking the whole time. Warm on low heat. When sauce is steaming, add Parmesan cheese.
Add salt & pepper to taste & more milk if too thick. Mixture should be good pouring consistency.
- Pour sauce evenly over noodles & cheese and sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until bubbling and slightly browned.
- Transfer to serving dish for serving, or reheating later if not serving right away.
Estimated prep time: 1 hourYield: 4 servings