The Connecticut Clay Artists
Pasta with Italian Sausage & Eggplant← previous
next →Main course by Sarah Koster
Pasta with Italian Sausage & Eggplant
- 1 or more large eggplant, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 tbsp salt
- 7 tbsp or more olive oil
- 6 Italian sausages, sliced
- 1 lb cherry tomatoes
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3/4 to 1 lb. penne pasta or similar
- 1/2 cup basil, chopped
- 1 cup or more Parmesan or Romano cheese, grated
- Toss the eggplant with salt. Put in large colander and let sit for 30 minutes. Wash and dry.
- Working in batches, heat 3 tbsp olive oil in large skillet and cook eggplant until golden. Set aside.
- Heat a little oil and cook sausage slices until done.
- Heat remaining oil. Add tomatoes and garlic. Cook for a few minutes.
- Add sausage, broth and milk and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add eggplant and cook another minute.
- Add cooked pasta and basil.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan or Romano and serve.
Estimated prep time: 1 hourYield: 6 servings