The Connecticut Clay Artists
Mousse Au Chocolat← previous
next →Dessert by Peggy Thomas
Mousse Au Chocolat
- 8 oz semisweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 whole eggs, separated
- 2 additional egg yolks
- 1/3 cup coffee concentrate (add water to any instant coffee to make it concentrated, not drinkable)
- 2 tbsp Grand Marnier
- 6 tbsp (3/4 stick) sweet butter, softened
- 2 cups heavy cream, whipped.
- Melt chocolate over hot not boiling water, or in an oven at 180°.
- Mix sugar with 1/4 cup of water in saucepan and bring to boil, 3-4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place yolks in bowl of electric mixer.
- Gradually add sugar syrup, beating constantly.
- Continue beating 5-6 minutes at high speed or until mixture is thick and creamy.
- Add coffee concentrate, Grand Marnier and softened butter and beat thoroughly.
- Stir in the melted chocolate.
- Beat egg whites with rotary or electric beater until stiff and shiny. As soon as they are ready, add to chocolate mixture and beat in with wire whisk. Finally, fold in the whipped cream. Pour into large serving bowl and refrigerate until serving.
- You can garnish the top with cocoa, whipped cream or chocolate curls. You may also omit the egg whites and add one more cup of heavy cream to the part.
Estimated prep time: 45 minutesYield: 6-8 servings